Friday, August 26, 2011

Notes from Nairobi. 1 - Someone else's city.

I'm back on red soil, a recognisable place, but different. I keep forgetting where I am and get funny looks when I thank 'Sebo'. Robyn, you're not in Kampala anymore. (Although, it is great hearing from friends that are just over the border from me...makes this settling in period easier!)

My soon-to-be-home is not ready yet, so I have not started to live the life that I will. For now I am guest in a lovely house, where I can run down to the pool to do laps ('can'!) , go to bed hearing the distant screeching of hyraxes and wake when the African sun seeps gently into my room (the 'w' thing has not started yet-hence a wee lie in!).


It is lovely being  guest in a new city. I was invited to join my hosts for dinner at the Muthaiga Country Club, where game  hunters used to meet and was a port of call for new arrivals in the 1900s...so it was fitting that I went as a newbie. It was another Karen Blixon  moment  - apart from the fact that I was allowed into the bar. A bit surreal, as I am sure I will not be going there on a regular occasion (translate-ever!) when I start work.

It will be hard leaving this little bit of luxury and comfort, but I am ready for my own space and routine, I need to get lost in the city to find my way around and I really can't wait to unpack (or collect my 21 boxes/pieces of luggage from Uganda when they arrive!!) and set up home.



7 comments:

  1. How exciting! I envy you the noises of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "21 boxes/pieces of luggage"! I arrived in the USA with 2 suitcases and a guitar! :-)

    Did that not cost you a small fortune to transport? :-O

    ReplyDelete
  3. from uganda it wasnt so bad, although they have taken weeks to cross the border.hard to start from nothing in africa...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making a stop over from the love of blogs. What a wonderful adventure and life. Wishing you a great settle into your own digs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your new venture! It'll be exciting to set up house and get all settled. Good luck with all of your boxes! Stopping by from FTLOB by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Calling by from Post of the Month Club, great to catch up on your adventures it is ages since I last called by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I can't wait to follow your new adventures. So exciting! Love the photo you posted - it gives me a good idea of where are :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment-it is always nice to hear from you!