Friday, October 14, 2011

Getting safari ready


I have survived my first half term and I still have a smile on my face. The inspectors agree-that the children are amazing.  The staff ate cake and a weight was lifted as we drank that first cold Tusker.

One of the things I love the most about the ‘w’ place that I am at, is, that the children are allowed to get muddy. They can really run around and be children, then climb, they fall and they do get up again. They don’t let out little screams when the power goes out – they live in Africa and they just enjoy it to the full.

Not all of the adults I have met here do the same. Mention the fact that you are going to the coast for the break and ‘Pirates’ and ‘floods’ are on the tip of a lot of tongues. Not all, there are those of course, that encourage the trip and shake off bad reputations that people like to spread...sometimes too eagerly. You learn to take it with a pinch of salt, although sometimes it is wise to listen and not just nod your head...like leaving your car door unlocked in the campsite...just incase...!

Tomorrow morning I am off to get Kenya-safari ready. I need to buy a spade (it is most probable we will get stuck on route-as it has rained for a week) and a tow rope. 

The holidays are here- happy days!

PS- As I have moved, my tour company can no longer be called RUT (Robyn's Ugandan Tours) - so...any suggestions for my Kenyan company name?

4 comments:

  1. How about keeping RUT - I quite like it - as in Robyn's Unpredictable Tours :-)
    Unique, Universal, Ultra ... fit as well, but they are too pretentious. Unpredictable is more fun for a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robyn,

    I'm really enjoying reading about your African adventures.

    I was wondering if you could give me some advice? A group of us will be travelling to Africa in spring2012 to climb Mount Kilimanjaro for charity. After the 6 day climb we all have just over a week before returning to the UK and we would like to plan some fun things to do whilst we're there.

    Is there any chance I can discuss the area we'll be in and activities there with you?

    Thanks,

    Nas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nas-do you want to pass me your email and will pass on a few contacts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. PSt-think unpredictable makes it sound quite scary....I'll have no visitors to Kenya..!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment-it is always nice to hear from you!